Trump orders banning of transgender troops from military in most cases

Trump issues order to ban most transgender troops from serving in military

Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed

US President Donald Trump has moved to formally ban most transgender persons from serving in the military with limited exceptions, according to a White House memorandum.

President Donald Trump announced a new ban on transgender military service.

Both parties need to do more on drug prices Senate approves.3 trillion spending bill, sending to Trump White House: Trump will delay steel tariffs for European Union, six countries MORE is moving ahead with his plan to ban most transgender people from serving in the military, with limited exceptions, following up on a proposal he called for last summer.

"The Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of Homeland Security, with respect to the U.S. Coast Guard, may exercise their authority to implement any appropriate policies concerning military service by transgender individuals", it added.

"The Trump-Pence administration's continued insistence on targeting our military families for discrimination is appalling, reckless, and unpatriotic", said Ashley Broadway-Mack, president of the American Military Partner Association and spouse of an active duty Army officer.

In February, the Pentagon confirmed to CNN that the first transgender person had signed a contract to join the United States military following a federal judge's ruling that said the military would have to accept transgender people.

In August, Trump sent Defense Secretary Jim Mattis a memo ordering him to propose changes to the Obama-era policy that allows transgender troops to serve openly and receive medical treatment, including sexual reassignment surgery.

The White House announced the policy even as the Justice Department submitted it to a federal court, which had been hearing a lawsuit challenging the original ban.

The ban on transgender troops was lifted in June 2016 when then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter permitted those already in uniform to begin serving openly and ordered the military branches to begin preparing to accept new recruits by July 1, 2017.

Files for bankruptcy - again
Some 80 women, including prominent actresses, have accused Harvey Weinstein of misconduct ranging from rape to harassment. ROSE McGowan shared a creepy birthday message for disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein on Twitter.

Boko Haram Jihadists Free Nigerian School Girls
DAILY POST reported earlier that 105 of the abducted schoolgirls have been released by their abductors with 5 of them reportedly dead.

4 tips to navigating store liquidation sales
There was still plenty of inventory being sold at full price at the Charlotte Babies R Us location and the Pineville Toys R Us. But the liquidation sale, which had been expected to begin Thursday, was postponed by the company at least one day.

The decision revokes a full ban that Trump issued last summer but disqualifies USA troops who have had gender reassignment surgery, as recommended by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.

More recently, a federal district court judge in Maryland ruled that the US must continue to fund sex-reassignment surgeries for transgender service members in the military, citing that they have "already suffered harmful consequences", after President Trump called for the transgender ban in the military.

"The new policy developed through an extensive study by senior uniformed and civilian leaders, including combat veterans", she said.

The decision comes after Trump's initial pledge was severely criticized by LGBTQ rights groups and top military officials, including most members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

"The Trump-Pence Administration continues to double down on its cruel and unconstitutional ban on transgender troops", said HRC National Press Secretary Sarah McBride.

The Trump Administration can't deny funding for certain medical care for transgender service members, District Judge Marvin Garbis said.

In a February memorandum to the White House, Mattis said transgender individuals with a history of gender dysphoria were disqualified from military service.

Two transgender individuals are already under contract to serve in the US military since that court ruling.

Latest News